The Story of The Blues
brought to you by
Wycombe Wanderers 1
Barnet 0
Tuesday 28th September 1993
Auto Glass (Football League) Trophy

Wycombe  v Barnet programme - 28th September 1993 Wanderers debut in the Football League Trophy saw former non-League rivals Barnet make a return to Adams Park. The tie also saw Club Captain Glyn Creaser make his comeback to First Team football following a nine month layoff due to a heel injury suffered at work. He was given a rapturous reception as he ran onto the Adams Park pitch and said after the game, "The game was a good test for me.l think I looked after myself pretty well. The lads have been brilliant and welcomed me back with open arms tonight." Creaser replaced Jason Cousins in the side, who had been banned by the Club following his sending off the previous weekend versus Doncaster.
The match itself saw several former team-mates come face to face with each other but it was Keith Scott's goal after 39 minutes that was enough to seperate the sides at the end of the ninety minutes. Wycombe would travel to Brentford on 9th November 1993 for one other game in Round One of this competition being played on a 'round-robin' basis, with the top two of three clubs progressing to a straight forward knock-out tie in Round Two.
Wycombe:Hyde, Crossley, Potter, Kerr, Creaser, Ryan, Hemmings, Hutchinson, Hayrettin, Scott, Guppy - subs unused: Carroll, Moussaddik (GK)
Scorers: Scott 39
Bookings: none
Barnet: Pape, Wilson,Rioch, Hoddle (sub 83 Close), Walker, D Barnett, Hall, Cooper, Smith, Evans, Alexander - subs used: B Barnett, Phillips (GK)
Scorers: none
Bookings: none
Referee: Mr Peter Jones Attendance: 2,323
What the papers said:
Bucks Free Press - Claire Nash reporting from Adams Park:
Wycombe negotiated their Auto Glass Trophy baptism with a narrow win over Second Division strugglers Barnet on Tuesday night. Gary Phillips' men, who had been put up for sale by the manager beforehand, failed to turn pressure into prizes to overturn Wycombe's lead. Keith Scott put Blues ahead in the 39th minute of a scrappy affair.
"I am pleased we won although I did not think we played particularly well," said manager Martin O'Neill after his side's first victory on a potential road to Wembley.
Scott scored his seventh goal of the season after beating Barnet's off-side trap when he ran onto Tony Hemmings' through ball. He came close to scoring agam in the 86th minute, but Andy Pape intervened with a fine save. The impressive 2,323 crowd at Adams Park could have been forgiven for concentrating on a lengthy spot-the-old-boy pursuit rather than the disjointed action during the first half. The Wycombe/Bees contingent of Hakan Hayrettin and Glyn Creaser, who returned to Blues' helm with a sturdy performance, came off the better in this competitive reunion. The Bees/Wycombe party, meanwhile, which featured Geoff Cooper, Gary Smith and Nicky Evans, endeavoured to stem their side's woeful record since near extinction in the close season. Paul Hyde made vital saves to thwart Paul Wilson's long-range rockets in both halves, and blocked Greg Rioch's close-range 65th minute shot which took advantage of Cooper's nifty back heel.
This is the story of WYCOMBE WANDERERS brought to you by HISTORY MENU