The Story of The Blues
brought to you by
Leyton Orient v Wycombe programme - 17 August 1993 - Terry Howard on the front cover, later to become a Wycombe player Leyton Orient 0
Wycombe Wanderers 2
Tuesday 17th August 1993
Football League Cup First Round
1st Leg

Wanderers first ever Football League Cup tie ended in victory with a thrilling 2-0 success over third tier side Leyton Orient at Brisbane Road. An estimated 1,500 following for Wycombe saw a first half strike from Steve Thompson and a late goal from Tim Langford gave the Wanderers a two goal advantage going into the second leg at Adams Park seven days later.
After the previous Saturday's debut in the Football League at Carlisle, Manager Martin O'Neill bought in new 'month-by-month' signing David Titterton to the side after the midfielder switched from Hereford United. Titterton replaced Duncan Horton who sat out the match following his ankle injury at Brunton Park. But speaking before the game, O'Neill indicated he was keen to sign more players. "We do not have enough players. I am keen to complement the side and will be better than what we have"
Wycombe: Hyde, Cousins, Titterton, Kerr, Crossley, Ryan, Carroll, Stapleton (sub 86 Hayrettin), Thompson (sub 66 Langford), Scott, Guppy - sub unused: Moussaddik
Bookings: Titterton 88 (foul)
Scorers: Thompson 13, Langford 90
Leyton Orient: Turner, Hendon, Howard, Hackett, Bellamy, Ryan, Carter, Lakin (sub 66 Benstock), Taylor, Tomlinson, Putney - subs unused: Kitchen, Newell
Bookings: Carter 37 (ungentlemanly conduct)
Scorers: none
Referee: Mr I Hemley Attendance: 4,151
What the papers said:
Bucks Free Press - Claire Nash reporting from Brisbane Road:
WYCOMBE Wanderers are assured of Premiership or Division One opposition if they capitalise on their deserved 2-0 advantage over Leyton Orient in next Tuesday's Coca Cola Cup first round, second leg at Adams Park.
A Premiership big gun would be no less than Blues merit after Tuesday's supreme all-round performance, which manager Martin O'Neill described as one of their best ever under his charge. "I am very, very pleased. I thought it was the best we have defended for quite some time. I honestly thought we showed a great deal of commitment with last ditch tackles just beating Leyton Orient to the ball nearly every time," he said after the game.
It was difficult to interpret whether Wycombe's opponents, who only lost three times at home last season when they narrowly missed the Division One play-offs, were too stunned or too casual to find an adequate reply to Blues' hustle at Brisbane Road.
It was Wanderers' holding job which secured the upset after Steve Thompson's skilful opening goal. Paul Hyde pulled off a handful of magnificent saves to preserve Blues lead, with Andy Kerr and Matt Crossley also rock-solid at the back.
Then substitute striker Tim Langford came on to strike a deadly nail into Orient's potential coffin. But O'Neill sounded a note of caution. "We are not through yet. I thought Leyton Orient were not a bad side. Overall I thought they played OK."
The opening minutes of Blues' debut in the Coca Cola Cup went like a dream for their 1,500 strong travelling supporters. Dave Carroll's diagonal pass from midfield landed at Thompson's feet. The midfielder, currently playing a forward's role, then cut inside marker Gary Bellamy to shoot past keeper Chris Turner in the 13th minute.
The east London club responded with Vaughan Ryan's header from Barry Lakin's cross, which just trundled inches past the near-post. Such misses summed up their evening. And when they were on target with shots such as Robert Taylor's 25-yarder at the start of the second half, Hyde was on hand to thwart them with almost-miraculous reflexes.
Wycombe withstood intense pressure as they entered the last quarter of the game. Langford replaced the tiring Thompson, who was heartily whacked on the back by all in Blues' dug out. His whippet-like replacement killed off Orient's hopes of levelling the game for Tuesday's sequel, with a piece of perfect finishing. A long ball from midfield sent him sprinting down the right. Bellamy tried to pull him back, but Langford went around his marker before shooting with pinpoint accuracy.
This is the story of WYCOMBE WANDERERS brought to you by HISTORY MENU