Wycombe Wanderers F.C.
Match Reports February 1996

Return To IndexReturn HomeBack to Gas

After the high of Saturday's performance against Stockport, Wycombe were brought firmly back down to earth by Peterboro' - crashing to a 3-nil defeat in a scrappy affair at London Road involving two red card incidents. Although Wycombe started well with Brown and Williams both going close in the opening 20 minutes, it was Peterboro' who made the breakthro' on 24 minutes in controversial style. Loan 'keeper Roberts flattened Terry Howard in his own box and while he lay awaiting assistance in the penalty area Gary Martendale was waved on by the ref and scored from an angle from the right side. The Wanderers seemed to completely lose their composure after this incident and both Patterson and Rowbotham picked up bookings for dangerous play. As the half closed Patterson was extremely lucky to stay on the field when a clumsy challenge on Ebdon went unpunished.
The game threatened to boil over on 55 minutes when Boro's Ben Sedgemore made a wild challenge on Steve Brown. The nearby players and linesman steamed in with the result a red card for Sedgemore. Brown, who also very fortunate to not receive any booking, seemed to tussle with the linesman before the ref finally arrived on the scene. Ryan replaced Patterson on 63 minutes for his own safety and 3 minutes later Wycombe's best effort of the half saw Brown connect with a first time cross by Carroll but it was picked up by Jon Sheffield in the Boro' goal. The game totally fell apart for Wycombe on 74 minutes when Lee Power raced clear on goal and Ben Roberts was forced to handle outside the area - the ref showing the red card almost instantly. Jason Cousins took the 'keeper's jersey but had little work to do other than pick the ball out of the net on 81 minutes - ex-Wycombe loan player Mark Foran powering home a corner from the right with his head. To conclude the nightmare for Wycombe, Brown was booked on 89 minutes for a hard challenge and in injury time a Martindale cross was defelcted past Cousins by Howard for the third
WYCOMBE TEAM: Roberts, Rowbotham, Bell, Howard,Cousins, Brown, Carroll, Patterson (sub 63 Ryan), Desouza, Williams, Farrell Subs:McGavin, Soloman (both not used) Attendance:3,670

Much to the relief of the Wycombe faithful, the goods were finally delivered via a convincing 4-1 home victory over 6th placed Stockport County. John Williams was the Wycombe hero with a hat-trick and it could have been more. The Wanderers needed just five minutes to open the scoring with Williams beating the keeper from just outside the box with a low and deceptive shot. It was just the start the Blues needed and four minutes later Howard crossed in for Williams to head home the second and set the tone for the afternoon. On 22 minutes Desouza broke from a Rowbotham pass and slid the ball pass the post. Five minutes later Evans had an effort tipped over by Dickens in the Stockport goal. The game was effectively over after 35 minutes when Dave Carroll went on one of his teasing runs - beating the entire Stockport team before sending in a cross/shot from the left that Dickens couldn't control and it was 3-0 to the Wanderers.
A mini revival by Stockport at the start of the second half caused concern for the Wycombe fans when Flynn headed home for County following good work on the right by Beaumont to make the score 3-1. The worries were unfounded, however, when Williams completed his hat-trick on 54 minutes when he connected with a Farrell cross from the left and the shot went in off the post. It was all one-way traffic after this and the score could well have been double the final margin. A Carroll flicked cross from the right after 69 minutes skidded across the face of the goal but Desouza and Farrell could not connect. Amongst the other chances the best were efforts from Williams on 80 minutes when a shot on the turn from just in the box whistled just high and wide. On 86 minutes Brown was one on one with the 'keeper but Dickens saved well and in the final minute Desouza raced clear but skewed his effort a fraction wide.
WYCOMBE TEAM: Roberts, Rowbotham, Bell, Howard, Evans (sub 45 Cousins), Brown, Carroll, Patterson, Desouza, Williams, Farrell Subs:McGavin, Ryan (both not used) Attendance:4,246

Another dismal first half display at Saltergate condemned Wycombe to defeat at the hands of fifth placed Chesterfield. Trailing 3-0 at half-time, the Wanderers never looked likely to have a say in the game despite a 62nd minute strike from Miguel Desouza. Chesterfield took just five minutes to open the scoring when defender Mark Williams headed home a corner for only his second goal this season. Further misery came for the Blues when Phil Robinson struck home in the 17th minute after yet more slack defending. An injured Jason Cousins was replaced by David Farrell on 25 minutes but it was Chesterfield making all the play and Roberts did well to block a shot on 27 minutes. Roberts also did well in the 37th minute but could do nothing to stop the loose ball falling to Tony Lormor who put the ball away and sealed the game for Chesterfield. Wycombe's best chance of the half came on 39 minutes when a John Williams efforted was turned away following a Dave Carroll cross.
Terry Howard replaced Keith Ryan for the second half but Wycombe lacked any ideas up front (oh for the return of Simon Garner!) On 51 minutes Carroll again crossed for Williams but his attempt hit the side netting. Wycombe's consolation goal saw Desouza turn on a ball in the area and whip the ball in the net but that proved to be the Wanderers last serious threat on the Chesterfield goal.
WYCOMBE TEAM: Roberts, Rowbotham, Bell, Ryan (sub 45 Howard), Evans, Brown, Carroll, Patterson, Desouza, Williams, Cousins (sub 25 Farrell). Subs:McGavin (not used) Attendance:4,571

Yet another let down for the Wycombe faithful with a nil-one reverse to Blackpool. The Wanderers failed to pose any real threat on the Blackpool goal throughout the ninety minutes and have now won just 4 out of 13 home games this season. Blackpool won the game when Andy Watson forced home a cross on 33 minutes. Wycombe's best chances had been just minutes before when Bell and Desouza combined but failed to hit the target and then Rowbotham's low shot scraped past the post. The second half saw the Wanderers open in a more lively manner. Brown was fouled on 48 minutes and the resulting free kick from Carroll was headed just wide by Evans. Three minutes later Desouza was clear through but his effort was tipped over by the Blackpool 'keeper. Farrell replaced Ryan on 71 minutes but there was was no joy. Rowbotham's snap chance in the 92nd minute slipped wide and that was that - Wycombe fans left yet again to ponder over another dull afternoon of frustration. Just a few words for the ref, Mr Singh, just what do you have to do to be booked? Blackpool's Rick Holden got away with murder in the first half. If Phillip Don had been officiating there would have been at least half a dozen bookings. Mr Singh must have lost his book on the way to the ground and booked nobody.
WYCOMBE TEAM: Roberts, Rowbotham, Bell, Ryan (sub 71 Farrell), Evans, Brown, Carroll, Patterson, Desouza, Williams, Cousins. Subs:McGavin and Soloman (not used) Attendance:5,285

A vastly readjusted Wycombe line-up at Dean Court saw Wycombe return to some sort of form and collect their first away win since November. John Williams grabbed the winner with just 4 minutes remaining to restore some confidence to the Wycombe side and their supporters and lift the Chairboys to seventh in the table.
With Terry Evans back after injury, the Blues played five across the back with Ryan and Williams playing up front. Wycombe had more chances in the first 10 minutes than the entire 90 at Brentford but still fell behind when Jason Brissett's cross was headed home by ex-Enfield striker John Bailey after just 11 minutes.
The scores should have been level 3 minutes later when Williams found himself through on Andrews in The Cherries goal but he struck the ball straight at him. The big striker made amends a minute later, however, when he connected with a Bell through ball, beat a defender and struck home to make it 1-1.
With Evans creating problems for Bournemouth at corners, Dave Carroll had a 20 yard effort saved on 22 minutes and 2 minutes later Ryan had a close range header well saved by Andrews. Bournemouth came more into the game shortly before the break and on 42 minutes a ball from the left from Beardsmore was headed past a stranded Roberts by Matt Holland. The Cherries could have also increased their lead on the stroke of half-time when a mis-judged back pass from Jason Cousins led to an eventual clearance by Evans.
Wycombe pulled level 4 minutes into the 2nd half when a Carroll corner was headed on by Ryan and Patterson burried the chance with a right foot drive to make the score 2-2. Roberts then made good saves in the Wycombe goal - first from a Scott Mean free-kick on 51 minutes and then from a low header from Steve Robinson in the 62nd minute.
Terry Howard limped off after 64 minutes and with Desouza being the replacement Ryan dropped back into midfield leaving Williams to partner the newcomer. Wycombe pressed further forward and Desouza should have done better on 70 minutes when he chose to go alone rather pass to Carroll and both Ryan and Rowbotham both had good chances. An amazing scramble on 85 minutes involving Williams, Rowbotham and Desouza ended without success before in the dying minutes Williams popped up to beat two defenders and strike the winner from the edge of the box to send the Wycombe fans home very happy.
WYCOMBE TEAM: Roberts, Rowbotham, Bell, Howard (sub Desouza 64mins), Evans, Brown, Carroll, Patterson, Ryan, Williams, Cousins. Subs:Farrell and Hardyman (not used) Attendance:4,447

Back To Top
Return To IndexReturn HomeBack to Gas